Sunday, October 30, 2011

BQF - Purple Gems

I think I finished by the skin of my teeth here, but I did finally finish this great quilt just in time for the Bloggers Quilt Festival!! Yea!!


Amy'sCreativeSide

I have named this one Purple Gems. This is the first time that I have made a whole quilt with only two fabrics, and also the first that I have made with black as the background!

I really love how dramatic it is!



The story behind this quilt is special to me. For the last 2 years, I have been a leader in the Young Women's group at our church. I work with girls ages 12 - 18. The girls I work with are wonderful!! They work on a program full of goals and projects, and have all 6 years to complete it. The quilt today is for one of my girls who recently finished the entire program in just 2 years! I don't think I need to explain how awesome that is! It is a lot of work, and I am so proud of her!

Quilt Stats:
Name: Purples Gems
Pattern: Happy Quilting Quilt a long, by Melissa Corry
Size: 51 x 68
Fabrics: Solid black, Riley Blake "Trick and Treat" in purple
Quilting: FMQ, stipple

17 comments:

The Thompsons said...

The black really makes the pink pop- I love it! The back is cool, too. I do Activity Days (so I have the 8-11 girls before you get them at 12) :) 12 years is pretty impressive- holy cow

Melinda said...

Wow, Lindsay! Great story for a very cool quilt. I like those dramatic colors.

M-R Charbonneau said...

Lindsay, this is so cool! The purple just pops with that black background. Congrats on the great finish!

Katie B said...

This is so awesome! I love the purple, and I know the young woman who receives it will too!

Michelle said...

Bold beautiful colors, love the design. Just lovely.

Julie said...

Great contrast!

MariQuilts said...

Fabulous quilt!!!

Marlene said...

Love the dramatic impact of the colour scheme and the design. Sounds like an amazing girl who it was for.

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt! BOLD!

Margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com
msolomo1@maine.rr.com

Leanne said...

It is just stunning! Perfect for a teenager too - so modern.

Unknown said...

Stunningly zingy!!! LOVE it! It's so bold and strong like the teen must be! And the back is equally wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Sleepless In St. George said...

Thank you so much for the quilt...Brooke LOVES it! She has been showing it off to everyone! Thanks for all your help with her projects.

Editfolt said...

I love purple color. Congratulations from Hungary.

BunkHouseQuilts said...

I love it, front and back! What a lucky girl to receive this great gift.

Quilt Genius said...

What a stunning color combo! I just love it. :)

Mary
http://www.quiltgenius.com

Eileen said...

very nice and lovely that it's for a special girl. thanks for sharing and hav a great day

Tiffany said...

Wow! I'm impressed that one of your girls finished the whole program in 2 years. That is quite the accomplishment!