Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ninja Star - a tutorial!

I was asked to do a tutorial on the Ninja Star, so here we go!


I admit - I like this version of the Ninja Star a lot better than my original! ;)

Okay - first off, block will measure 12.5 inches unfinished, all seams are 1/4 inch, and I pressed most of my seams open to reduce bulk.

Fabric

You will need:


4 - 3 7/8 inch square blocks of print for star points

4 - 3 7/8 inch square blocks of background fabric

4 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 inch of background fabric

Start with Half Square Triangles! Match one background square to print square, right sides together. Trace a line down the diagonal on each set.


Sew 1/4 inch on each side of the marked line:


Cut down marked line:



Now you have eight sets!! Press open and trim the corners!


Arrange squares in this manner:


Start by sewing the half square triangles together this way:


Sew a background rectangle to each set of HST to form 4 sub-squares:


(On these, I pressed the seams toward the background rectangles.)

Now, sew two sub-squares together:


Then, finish off that square by sewing the two halves together!


TaDa!! Your very own Ninja Star!! Happy sewing everyone!

3 comments:

Lee said...

Ha, this is very close to our next Summer Sampler block, tutorial to come on my blog tomorrow morning! So you've got a leg up on that one! : )

Leanne said...

Thanks! I am putting it on my list to do, week after next.

Melinda said...

Great tute Lindsay!