Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tip: Pretty HST Points

So, I have been doing a tOn of Half Square Triangles lately, and I have found a method of making my points pretty. I honestly don't remember if I found this tip somewhere, or if I just discovered it on my own, but regardless - I feel that it is worth sharing!! So, here's a tute for making those pesky points a little bit prettier!

Start with trimmed and squared HSTs. If you don't know how to trim and square your HSTs up, check THIS out. She has a few methods of making HSTs to try. Really, learning to do that part correctly changed my life. :)

So, you have two HSTs all squared and pretty. Now, you want to line up seams (right sides together) and match corners.



Sew 1/4 inch seam.

Press seams OPEN. (I know that not everyone is on the press-seams-open bandwagon, but for this method, it is a must!)

Do this with how ever many HST you have to sew together. For this demo, one more set is sufficient.

Now look at that pretty little point...


Now, flip it over.  Look carefully. Do you see the triangle in the seam?


Right there!


This is the fabric practically telling you where to put your needle. Seriously. It is literally pointing to where you should sew!


Match up the middle seams of your two HST sets. (To me, it is more important to match seams rather than edges...)

Sew 1/4 inch seam, right under the little triangle in the seam.


Press seams open, and voila!

Lovely. Now, if you are me - do this over and over and over a few hundred times...


Happy HSTing!!

5 comments:

Katie B said...

Great tip! I'll try this next time. You should be an expert after making that quilt!!

Melinda said...

Ooh! Nice tip!

twelfthzodiac said...

This is the way I do it too! I am positive I read it somewhere though - when I made my first HST's. It's funny, as a new(ish) quilter, I tend to think that if I know a tip, everyone must know it. I should share this with my quilty friends, just to make sure. It really works beautifully!

Leanne said...

I do this but never really thought about it before, thank you.

Jen said...

I am so far behind on reading blogs it is ridiculous. I totally needed this tip yesterday. Fantastic!