Monday, May 23, 2011

A Big Serving of Humble Pie

I know you are all wondering about how the triathlon went. Well... it was a complete disaster. Seriously! It has been a long time since I have outright failed at something, so I guess I was just overdue for a good humbling! lol!

Here's me getting ready to start the swim.



Which I only made it partway through. Turns out - swimming in a pool is a lot different than swimming in a lake, and swimming in a swimsuit is a lot different than swimming in a wetsuit. (Can a get a Duh?) So, I had trained for swimming, just not the right kind of training. But that wasn't the kiss of death.

Here's how this all went down. I started the swim out pretty well. I did, however, realize quickly that I had worn the wrong kind of wetsuit. I borrowed a friend's regular, scuba wetsuit, which was too thick, so I had a whole lot of drag going on. I had, about 400 meters in, decided that I would have to alternate between freestyle and breaststroke to finish.

That was went I collided with another swimmer and took a foot to the gut. Now, it's important for me to say - I don't blame the other swimmer AT ALL. It's a free for all, we're all right on top of each other, and it's hard to see where the other swimmers are. So, not that person's fault. And the kick didn't even hurt. But, it was enough to through off my rhythm and breathing, and caused me to start taking in mouth fulls of water. And out in the middle of a lake is not the most ideal place to try and recover from getting the wind knocked out of you. BUT - I don't think the kick would have effected me as much if I hadn't already been struggling.

I swam (if you are being generous with the term swim) another 100 yards or so, and tried to determine the best course of action. I was still coughing and getting mouthfuls of water. I do NOT quit easily, so this decision was painful. But even now I can't regret making the decision to pull out. I wouldn't have been able to finish the swim. At least not before the cutoff. So, I swam over to one of the officials on a jet ski, told him I was pulling out, and climbed on the back of the jet ski. He was great about it, as were the people on the boat who had to call in my number into the race director.

I was hoping to just get to the dock, hand in my time chip and make a discreet getaway. But no. NOW came the embarrassing part. I got to the dock, was helped off by a young man who would not let go of my arm. He kept asking if I was okay, then told me that I would have to talk to "the race director. She's the one in the green shirt... yes, right there, running toward us."

She was running. Sprinting actually. Right. Up. To. ME. And behind her - the medical staff. Complete with a full stretcher. **Dies of complete embarrassment** Holy cow, it was humiliating. Anyway, I assured her that I was okay - and that all I really needed was a rock to hide under and die of embarrassment. Fortunately (?) I wasn't the first to pull out for that exact reason, and I am sure I wasn't the last.

So, a bona-fide failure. But, I certainly learned a valuable lesson about preparing the RIGHT way. And you do know what this means, right? Michael will be ordering a kayak and a few little life vests today. And from now until next year, we will be spending a few evenings a month with my three family members in a kayak while I swim in the reservoir until it's easy to do. Next time.. I'll be ready! :)

But humble pie doesn't taste very good.

13 comments:

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

OH NO!! I'm so sorry! I will say I am cracking up at your recall of the event. If it makes you feel any better, I would not have realized the wetsuits are different either. Live and learn right? I know you'll get right back into it!

Jen said...

I hate the bitter aftertaste of the pie. Also, the texture is nasty.

Luckily, it's you, so you know that you will now kick the next tri you enter in the behind!

woollykat said...

Bummer! I am sorry to hear that about your tri. That has to be frustrating, after all the time you spent training and preparing for it. I'm still impressed, though! I just ran my first half marathon a couple weeks ago, but a tri? Wow. Hats off to you. A little open water training, and you'll be good. It's only up from here!

p.s. new blogger, been reading for a little while--love your blog! Thought I'd say a proper "hello." :)

Katie B said...

Oof. That's brutal! Good for you for getting ready for next time!

Anonymous said...

Hey Linds! I saw that! LOL My son was in the kids tri. That sucks I know you work so hard to train. My husband did the one at Lake Mead a few weeks ago and had to train the lake too, much different

Linz said...

Dyanne!!! hahaha! I love that you were there witness to the folly! Those kids were SO cute! I was proud of all of them! And congrats to your hubby and your son!!

Anna! Welcome and hello back! Congrats on your half! Those are my favorite!! :)

Danyelle L. said...

You're incredible for doing this. :) Makes me tired just thinking about it. :D

Anonymous said...

I just wish I knew you were there so we could have said hey

Lee said...

Oh, that's too bad! I'm so sorry! But wow, I have the utmost admiration for you - not only for trying a triathlon, but also having the guts to write honestly about how it went! I have a feeling you will be very prepared and do a great job next time. : )

Kent and Leisy said...

my good friend's husband DIED in the water during a tri- and he was a regular trialthlete. You definitely didn't wimp out! open water swims are super intense! plus- now you're getting a kayak- how cool is that?!

Angie said...

Aw, Lindsay. I'm sorry that happened to you. =( But you learned a lot, right? So glad you are okay! You'll do terrific next time. Love you!

tiffany said...

so sorry

& humble pie doesnt taste that bad heaven knows i have eat alot of it recently

Leanne said...

I am so proud of you! You trained, you tried, you made a sensible call just when your adrenaline was pumping out of control, and you have a plan to fix the problem! Sounds similar to being a mom, or even a quilter, except perhaps the kicked in the gut part.