Wednesday, January 4, 2012

WIP Wednesday - New Years edition

Happy 1st WIP of 2012 everyone! I am excited to be able to link up with Lee again! We've missed you! :)

So - sewing has been pretty scarce the last few weeks. The holidays totally messed me up, and then - right before New Years, Hubby and I took on a HUGE semi-spontaneous project...

We ripped the carpet out of our bedroom, spent New Years Eve (all. day. long) working on cleaning and prepping the concrete, finally painting the concrete floor BLUE!!!



It turned out simply fabulous. This picture doesn't do it justice... Unfortunately, the painting happens over days, not hours, and needs to cure for 72 hours after the final coat, so we have been displaced for almost a week now. And we won't get the room all the way to finished until Saturday. SIGH... but, I am so tickled with how it turned out!!!

Anyway - SEWING!! As it is a new year, I have taken a step back to reevaluate everything. I have decided that I need a little more balance in my life, and that means facing my obsessive personality head on. As such, I have decided that this year I will be focusing on QUALITY over quantity. I will be doing less projects, but they will all be BETTER. More focus on technique and skill.

So here is my current WIP list for the start of 2012:

E's King Size:
This has officially moved up to top priority status. She doesn't need it soon, but it's going to take a while. Here's where I'm at.


I am currently pressing and trimming the first set of HSTs. This quilt will have... wait for it... 720 HST. Ugh. So, I am breaking them down into 6 sets. This is the first. Wish me luck! :)

Skill Builder Sampler:

Going strong. Here's my latest block: Circles


I know this doesn't look all that inspiring, but I learned SO much with this block. Each block was sewn using a different applique method. The largest one was my very first needle-turn applique!!! And guess what? I LOVE IT! It looks so nice and isn't nearly as terrifying as I thought it would be! So, my next block is all needle turn:


Wish me luck! :)

Beejeebers Bee:

I joined this wonderful Bee and am in the planning stages of the first block. She asked for a wonky house or tree and I am so excited to get it going! I'll be doing it this week, so stay tuned!

Special Baby Boy Quilt:

A dear friend of mine has asked me to make a quilt for her twin sister's unborn baby boy, due in March. He is having some major in-utero health problems, so it is a scary time for them. She has asked me to make something special for him and her sister. I am honored to make it. It is still in the planning stages, so stay tuned for that!

And that, my friends, is all for now! I have a few more that I will start after I get one or two checked off, though! Happy WIP Wednesday! Be sure to check out all of the lovely WIPs at Freshly Pieced!!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

13 comments:

Katie B said...

Great projects, Linz! And that floor looks really exciting! I have to admit I cringed at your number of HST. I had to make some for a bee block this weekend, and the trimming just kills me!

Heather D. said...

Love the simplicity of the circles block.

Melissa Corry said...

Way to go!! Love the circle block and I think I am going to have to try that needle turn applique. Sounds fun :)

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Wow, painted concrete? I definitely want to see more of that when it's done!
Good luck with your king size. Hope you love your fabrics because you will be sick of them at the end - lol! Love your circles block, it looks great.

Kerstin said...

King size, wow! The biggest one I ever made was a queen size, and I hated quilting it. But I'm sure once you are done with it, you will love what you have accomplished. Great sewing goal, too!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

I am digging the blue floor! Can't wait to see the block tou come up with!

@pril said...

I love circles and happen to like applique. I think the stitch I like best is the lower right. I follow you but saw this at WIP first.

@pril
KoolBeenz-blog.blogspot.com
For-the-Love-of-Pie.blogspot.com

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow, I love the shade of blue you used for the floor! Can't wait to see you move some furniture back into it :) Good luck with your HST project, you can do it! Breaking it up into smaller chunks is a fabulous idea!

tiffany said...

cute blocks and nice bedroom floor cant wait to wee everything else

CityHouseStudio said...

Wonderful projects!
I'm so impressed that you've given needle turned applique a try - it's really not bad, huh? I'm still terrified!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Your room looks awesome! I bow to you on those HSTs -- it's a lot, but it's going to look great! Good luck with your projects, Linz.

Leanne said...

The floor project is looking really good. I love your project plans.

Unknown said...

What brand and color of paint did you use?