Thursday, January 26, 2012

Puzzle Quilt all done!

I am so pleased to be sharing this with you today!! I am happily finished with the Puzzle Quilt!


Isn't it darling!?! It does have a bit of a story, so bear with me!

I found that this pattern, while cute and fun, is a little difficult. The piecing was fast and easy, but you really had to pay attention while sewing the rows together! It was SUPER easy to sew blocks the wrong way, and I did have to do a little unsewing now and then. But that wasn't a big deal. The first big deal whoopsie came when I - ummm - dropped my iron (again). It didn't seem like a big deal (because it never has been before), so I just picked it up and set out to press some seams.

Within SECONDS, I smelled a horrible smell and looked down to see this:


AUGH!!!! I have never scorched fabric before. I cried. Then I unpicked this block and made a new one. Then I went and bought a new iron. :)

The rest of the process seemed to go just fine. Until... after I finished quilting, I found a tiny whoopsie. a seam that had popped open and had made a tiny hole. It wasn't any bigger than 1/32 of an inch... but it was there. I was seriously upset. So, I decided to fix it up by appliqueing a small puzzle piece over it.


It's my favorite part now! lol! So, yay! Happy Ending!

I decided to quilt using a meandering stipple, because I thought that the look of stipples really lends itself well to puzzles!


The back is so cute!! I love the dots! And it's flannel, so it's super soft!


I am so glad to have been able to make this quilt for my dear friend's new nephew! I sure hope they love it! :)

Puzzle Quilt Stats:

Pattern: Connect the Dots by Liz Schwartz & Stephen Seifert
Finished Size: 39" × 51"
Quilting: Meandering Stipple (on my own machine)
Fabrics: various prints from various designers:
White dot (on back) - FLANNEL - Robert Kaufman, "Cozy Cotton" Screen print D#9255
Bright Blue - Michael Miller, "Doozie" Tie Grid in blue
Stripe - Robert Kaufman, "New Traditions" I couldn't find which color specifically.
Navy dot - I have no idea. Sorry.
Grey - Sherbert Pips, Grey squares
Green dots - Riley Blake, Felicity

19 comments:

tiffany said...

that is amazing and so cute i ,ove it great job

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Bummer about the fabric scorching incident - I've never done that before, but gosh, I have so worried about doing it!! I think the quilt turned out just great, it's a lovely pattern :)

M-R Charbonneau said...

It's adorable! Especially that mini puzzle piece -- isn't it great when problems can be solved so beautifully? Congrats on a fabulous quilt, Linz!

Melinda said...

So adorable Lindsay! I love it. Got to check out this pattern!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Omg, I love it! It's too darling! Love that little appliqué piecing. Great idea for covering a botched seam. Sorry about the fabric scorching , hope your new iron is fabulous.

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

It turned out great! I love it! The colors are great. I am sure it will be loved.

The Thompsons said...

The applique piece is genius- love it!

Melissa Corry said...

This is so adorable Lindsay!!! Love the cute applique as well!!

RobinLovesQuilting said...

That puzzle quilt looks great! I agree that the little applique adds style. That is INSANE about your burned fabric, though: I have always heard that doing X or Y could scorch your fabric, but never actually seen it in action. At least it was an individual piece and not like, your fully pieced quilt sandwich!

Katie B said...

Love this puzzle! I can't believe a drop could have that effect in your iron. You're "oops" corrector is perfect! I think the sprinkling of white fabric is my favorite part.

Michelle said...

So very neat-o-ban-deat-o!! I love it. Amazing work!

Lindsay@fortheloveofcotton said...

As a mother of two nerdy boys, I have no doubt that they will love this quilt! I know I would :)

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Wow it is great! I love how you solved the tiny hole with the appliqué! Very clever and looks cute!

Christie describeHappy said...

Your quilt looks amazing and love the story with it! Hope you are enjoying the new iron and the applique... genius!!

Leanne said...

I love it! I especially love how you patched it with a puzzle piece, that is perfect!

Lindsay Conner said...

I adore this! Some type of puzzle quilt (maybe Amy Ellis's version) is on my wishlist of quilts to make. Love your greens and blues--it's perfect!

Letterpress said...

Isn't half the battle to take what life hands you and make it work? I'm sorry about the scorch--but you made it work. And the puzzle piece on the front is sheer genius. We should all put one there even if not needed. I love it.

Elizabeth
occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for every other informative blog. Where else may I get that type of info written in such an ideal method? I've a project that I am simply now working on, and I've been on the glance out for such information.
2000 LBS Trailer Boat Jack Tongue - Weld on Mount

Claudia Romney said...

I LOVE this quilt and it's mine, all mine! I just got it at my baby shower this weekend and it's the best gift! The pictures almost don't do it justice because it's absolutely stunning in person. I love it so much, and love you even more for making it. Its so special that someone I've known for so long made something so special. Thank you!!!